Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Random News & Notes From San Diego 2011

Here we are, once again. San Diego Comic Con has come and gone. I was nowhere near San Diego (couldn't get much farther and still be in the Lower 48), but thanks to the online coverage there's plenty of stuff to learn about.

This is just a scattered listing of things that caught my attention, in no order of importance:

Well, I knew this right away when I saw the teaser images that Dark Horse put out. Tom Morello, guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, and the one and only Nightwatchman, is doing a series called Orchid. Of course I'm intrigued, but we'll see how this pans out.

I just got annoyed and glad to see something. A recent headline on Comic Book Resources right now is about the Incredible Hulk being relaunched. Things to be glad about? Jason Aaron and Marc Silvestri. Sounds great actually! Things to be mad about? Well, it sounds like the Hulk story I had tucked away in my head since I was a kid might be being told now...Banner and the Hulk finally separating, if only temporarily. Hey, I read ALL of the Peter David Hulk comics...I tried to think of the one thing he didn't tackle in all that time. I'm sure Aaron and Silvestri will do good work, and I'm not bitter at all.  :)

Here's a project that's not exactly my kind of thing, but it still deserves mention: Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes miniseries. Original series cast and Great Darkness era. Chris Roberson of iZombie writes.

Marvel and DC are always copying each other's ideas, and here's the latest iteration of that: Marvel will soon be rolling out a new line of original graphic novels called Season One. Does this remind anyone of DC's Earth One OGNs? I thought so. Preview art looks pretty iffy to me. Pass...

A crossover that is probably more preposterous than the one previously mentioned, but one that I am 100% a fan of already: Archie Meets KISS. Because it's going to be nuts. Oh yeah, and a separate and new KISS series from IDW. Gene Simmons has been busy on the phone setting up these new comics licenses.



Frankenstein: Alive, Alive: IDW has Steve Niles and Bernie Wrightson picking up where the original novel left off. Look at the preview art and tell me this isn't going to be amazing.



Bruce Timm-related news: There was a panel for the new Green Lantern series. This show is definitely on my radar. It's been too long since we had Timmverse TV, and the computer graphics makes me more excited to see how this will turn out. ANNND The Dark Knight Returns will be getting a two-part release in the DC animated movie format. That's something people have been waiting for since the series started!

Brian K. Vaughan is finally back to making comics: Saga from Image. This sounds great, but maybe I'm little bit biased. Can't wait to crack open some new BKV.



There was a Torchwood panel and John Barrowman was wearing a Captain America shirt and announced that he had spent $2,000 on the convention floor before walking into the panel. Then he ended the panel by singing. This probably would have been a highly entertaining way to spend an hour at the con.

Marvel was all about the Avengers movie. There's a trailer now, posters, art, etc. I'll get to it when I get to it.

News from Fantagraphics: They have the license to reprint EC Comics stories now. I like how they aren't doing the same formats that have been tried already. The approach involves volumes dedicated to specific creators. They're also releasing them in black and white, which is a choice I wouldn't expect, but I think it's a good one. Al Williamson sci fi, Wally Wood, Harvey Kurtzman...looks like I'll finally have some EC on the shelf.

And finally, it was SDCC, so of course the Eisner Awards were given out. I did pretty well with my few predictions back in March: Chew took Best Continuing Series, Wednesday Comics got the nod for Best Reprint, and Tiny Titans took the prize for Best Kids' Publication. iZombie wound up losing to American Vampire in the Best New Series category, but at least it was still a win for DC and Vertigo!

Of course there was far, far more that was announced, revealed, teased, etc, but these were some of the things that stood out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment